WEEI can't blame the Bruins for July

ljs0610@comcast.net ljs0610@comcast.net
Sat Aug 13 18:34:02 EDT 2011

If 'EEI is wondering what happened to the Big Show's ratings then they should all lose their jobs.  What happened is that a new sport station set up shop and WEEI finally encountered something they hadn't before.  A full-time, viable competitor. Programmed by a PD who looked at 'EEI's considerable weaknesses, didn't make the same mistakes and, unlike WEEI took nothing, least of all the audience, for granted.
All the talk about signal and the Bruins really miss the point.  Both those factors are components, but the bottom line is that SportsHub is just a far superior experience (and some of it really is programming 101), a much, much better station and sports fans, rabid and otherwise (SportsHub has also drawn peripheral listeners), are thankful they no longer have to put up with the sorry product WEEI had become.  The bottom line is that 'EEI's audience defection is likely permanent and now WEEI has to consider mimicking the new kid on the block and enact major alterations to try and get the attention of their former listeners. Which means blowing up the sorry lineup and starting all over again.
My money's on that fact that the horse is already out of 'EEI's barn and that their management and staff can only reflect what might have been if only they hadn't become so smug and self indulgent.  Otherwise, they might have been able to put up at least some semblance of a fight for the audience.
Felger and Mazz are killing the big show because they are far better at what they are doing.  And what does that say for WEEI that a couple of hosts whose strength was initially print journalism are beating broadcast veterans like Ordway and Dennis (both of whom have lost their fastball, but their bread and butter was the broadcast medium).
It's the product, not the signal.

----- Original Message -----
From: Kevin Vahey <kvahey@gmail.com>
To: Bob Nelson <raccoonradio@gmail.com>
Cc: (newsgroup) Boston-Radio-Interest <boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 14:35:54 -0000 (UTC)
Subject: Re: WEEI can't blame the Bruins for July

FM options are pretty limited for Entercom

I wonder if any thought has been given to going to Greater Media and perhaps
working out some kind of a swap with 96.9 being the focal point. (Maybe
offer them both 680 and 850 plus cash) - Then GM could merge their talk
format with whatever they want from WRKO and then use 850 for pure ESPN
radio)

In any event WEEI has to be wondering what has happened to The Big
Show...Felger and Mazz are just killing them now.