Women in broadcasting ownership

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Thu Aug 11 23:43:20 EDT 2011

On 8/11/2011 10:51 PM, Dan.Strassberg wrote:
> I don't remember her name, but (Kathy <something>), the CEO of Radio
> One, which owns a bunch of stations, is a woman--an African-American
> woman, at that. And in its heyday, wasn't the legendary WDIA Memphis
> owned by a woman?

Kathy Hughes is the lady who owns Radio One.  She and her son Alfred
Liggins run it.  As for WDIA in Memphis, while they had a woman who was
a well-known announcer (Martha Jean "the Queen" Steinberg) , the station
was owned by three white men and the DIA stood for the name of the wife
of one of them (Dianne).  It may eventually have been sold to a woman,
but I don't think so.  There have been several black women in Chicago
who owned radio stations, and a woman who died recently (Dorothy
Brunson) was the first black woman to own both a TV station and a radio
station (one in Philly and one in Baltimore).