Women in broadcasting ownership

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Thu Aug 11 20:56:34 EDT 2011

On 8/11/2011 7:49 PM, Doug Drown wrote:
> Brava to the estimable Ms. Zimmerman!

So, if you are keeping score, in August 1922, the first woman owner was
Marie (Mrs Robert) Zimmerman, who put WIAE in Vinton IA on the air.  The
next woman owner, in December 1925, was Mary Costigan, a theater owner
in Flagstaff AZ who put KFXY on the air. Other women owners inherited
their husband's station when he died-- Blanche Virgin (real name, btw)
inherited KMED in Medford OR in mid-1928 and continued to run it; Ida
McNeil of Pierre SD also inherited when her husband died and ran KGFX
from 1927 into the 1940s.  I wrote about a lot of this in my third book,
"Invisible Stars:  A Social History of Women in American Broadcasting"
back in 2001.