Women in broadcasting ownership

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Thu Aug 11 20:16:11 EDT 2011

On 8/11/2011 7:49 PM, Doug Drown wrote:
> Brava to the estimable Ms. Zimmerman!

She was an amazing lady.  Her husband, Bob, was 100% supportive of her
radio career.  He was the city engineer in Vinton IA, so he built the
station (and even built a portable version that she could drive around),
and then she ran it.  Unfortunately, she ran out of money after a year,
but that happened a lot in early radio, where there were no sponsorships
and you either paid out of your pocket or you relied on a corporation
like Westinghouse or GE.  There were several other women who briefly
owned stations in the late 1920s-- in Oregon and in Arizona.  But as I
said, the first women I know to go on the air here was WOCB.  Here's how
the Barnstable Patriot explained it:

1940

Radio station WOCB, the new Cape Cod station located on South Sea
avenue, West Yarmouth, went on the air for the first time... It will be
found at 1210 on the waveband, or 121 on sets which knock off the zeros.
WOCB is operated by the Cape Cod Broadcasting Company, of which Miss
Helen W. MacLellan and Miss Harriett M. Alleman of Osterville are
principal figures. Its broadcasting studio was built in early summer,
and is a story and a half structure of Colonial design.