touch 106 FM

Peter Murray peterwmurray@gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 16:28:29 EDT 2011

As one of the crazies, I should have added a <sarcasm> </sarcasm>
modifier to my statement... :)

Most of my DX work is on FM, personally. Best FM DX catch I've had was
driving in my car during a summer afternoon (about 12 years ago) south
of Allentown, PA, listening to (tropo-ducted) KLAW (101.3, Lawton OK)
and KFDI (101.3C, Wichita KS) coming in like locals. They had some
storms going out there at the time, with tornado alerts and traffic on
"the 135", which made me realize there was no way I was hearing WROZ
(101.3B, Lancaster PA)...

I still think that Hispanic would work in Boston - the "Hispanic"
population (over 300K) is higher than the "Black" population (almost
270K). Both population and descriptions provided by Arbitron, btw.
There are many who would listen to either format that are not in that
specific demographic, whether or not it is programmed in their native
tongue! My earlier comparison of Boston to DC didn't take into account
that the "Hispanic 12+) population in DC is 200K higher than that of
Boston, but I still think a FM would do very well - after all, there
wouldn't be too many other non-subscription choices that the
Spanish-speaking population would have, aside from the 3 "Tropical" AM
signals and whatever music they put in their CD or MP3 player.
Together, the 3 "Tropical" outlets (WNNW, WAMG, WKOX) cume about 210K
if you believe Arbitron's PPM numbers - almost WCRB and WGBH
territory...

73 de N3IXY