WBUR lashes out at WGBH

Sean Smyth sean.smyth@yahoo.com
Sat Apr 16 23:25:38 EDT 2011

On Sat, 4/16/11, Kevin Vahey <kvahey@gmail.com> wrote:
> The Globe ( 4-16) looks at the war
> between WBUR and WGBH and at first glance
> WGBH is winning as 90.9 is bleeding listeners.
>
> WBUR management is fuming that Boston can only support one
> public radio
> outlet and GBH stole our format.
>
> http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2011/04/16/wgbh_changes_sting_public_radio_rival/?p1=News_links

Is there some unwritten rule in the non-comm world that you're not supposed to compete with each other? I've never heard of such and even if there is, it makes no sense for WBUR officials to whine about it.

Where WBUR folks may have a gripe is with NPR. I'm surprised that at this stage in its development, NPR isn't more selective with whom it shares programming. It somewhat dilutes the brand when All Things Considered, for instance, can be heard on three stations in the market simultaneously. Shouldn't NPR be protecting its long-standing affiliates to some degree?