WBIX-AM 1060 Off-The-Air

lglavin@mail.com lglavin@mail.com
Thu Sep 16 13:16:08 EDT 2010

There's total radio silence at the 1060 frequency today (09/16).  WBIX is off-the-air. This offered me an opportunity to check out if the new WEPN facility in NJ that was featured recently on Scott's Tower Calendar helped even its daytime signal. On previous occasions when AM 1060 under previous ownership was silent, I could us my GE portable-that-isn't-a-superradio-but-gets-distant-stations-anyway (the radio I used to liisten to "Let's Talk About Radio" on WJIB-AM 740) and pick up what was on AM 1050 in NYC at that time (WHN?).  Nowadays,  there's a new impediment:  WBZ-AM 1030 IBOC hash.  I had to take my radio outside in an area of my backyard where by turning it "sideways" to WBZ, but "headon" to WEPN, and I got a very usable signal from WEPN at noontime, at least as good as the much closer WTIC-AM 1080 in Avon, CT (when my eradio is so configured, it's also "sideways" to WILD-AM 1090 i n Medford.  I don't know if WBIX will be silent until the new owners take over or they're doing engineering for the power upgrade and transmitter site change, or how long the radio silence will last.  The WBIX web page is still up and indicating that programming is continuing as usual.