worthy competition - was Boom Boom

A Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Thu Oct 28 00:13:12 EDT 2010

On 10/27/2010 3:27 PM, Doug Drown wrote:I sometimes used to listen to
WKBR in Manchester on FM.  This was in the mid- to late sixties; I think
the AM was on 1250 by then, but we couldn't get it out Fitchburg way.
WFEA, on the other hand, came in reasonably well.  Both stations had a
good sound; which one dominated the market?

I did, too.  We moved to Bedford in1957, and in December 1958 I got my
first FM radio.  I soon discovered WKBR-FM and found it a good
alternative to the Boston Top 40 stations.  One thing I liked was that
on Saturday afternoon they used to play the previous Top 40 from a year
ago.  After WCOP gave up rock & roll in 1962, I turned to WKBR even more
because WBZ had talk in the evening and WMEX had a poor nighttime signal
in our corner of Bedford (and had Gerry Williams starting at 10).  So
WKBR was what I listened to when I wanted that kind of music in the evening.

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                     617.367.0468
92 State Street, Suite 700          Fax: 617.507.7856