BSO on the radio - not for me anymore

lglavin@mail.com lglavin@mail.com
Tue Oct 12 13:57:45 EDT 2010

 I'm a bit surprised that the *Emperor of Ice Cream has experienced so much difficulty with the 99.5
 signal where he lives.  I can't actually SEE the tower lights even in winter when any intercepting trees
 would be stripped of leaves, but the basic, underlying signal is crystal clear and resonant at all times.
 Perhaps every time I've listened to WGBH-sourced programming (vs the satellite-fed fare), they've
 been playing a commercially-available CD of recent vintage.  The occasional times I've had problems
 with WCRB's current sound have involved tapes or some other media used for rebroadcast of the in-house
 concerts from Frazier Hall before the reconstruction.  Since I'm an avid concertgoer (tonight 10/12
 I'll be at Seully Hall in the Boston Conservatory of Music for an all-Beethoven-piano sonata concert by
 international world-class pianist Till Fellner), very often if there's BSO performance I want to hear, I
 make my way to Symphony Hall, often on a Thursday night when I can get lower-priced tickets and then
 move to a more amenable seat at intermission! So it's almost a form of lagniappe that an excellent signal is
 nearby if I decide the weather is too frightfull to do so on a winter's night.

*  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Emperor_of_Ice-Cream