BSO on the radio - not for me anymore

George Allen gallen2@nescaum.org
Mon Oct 11 15:45:50 EDT 2010

I went to listen to last weekend's BSO concert [first time since GBH
bought CRB].  In Swampscott with an indoor antenna [rabbit ears], I
could not get a clean [eg, worth listening to] signal off WCRB.  I'm
stunned.  First, that WGBH relegates this flagship program to a
station with a modest signal, despite their current talk
programming.  Second, that being NE of Boston [~25 miles from the
tower], not way south of Boston or such, I could not get a clean WCRB
signal.  There was a squirrelly squaking noise about 30db down - even
when the receiver was otherwise reasonably noise free [eg, the signal
was not weak].  I don't live near any strong local FM signals.  I
tried a 2nd much older receiver, and it couldn't get _any_ signal
from WCRB, while every Boston [and many many more] stations came
rolling in just fine.  Good Greif...

Does WCRB still run [does anyone still run] SCA?  Could this be it
[coupled with a less than hi-end but new receiver]?  I do have a hill
near my house between me and their tower... another possible factor;
clear shot to south and SW [including Boston and Needham] but not to N and NNW.

I think [?] they stream the WCRB signal on their web site.  But does
this work for high sound-quality classical music - something close to
what you could get off-air with a clean analog signal?  The streaming
bandwidth needed would seem excessive - fine for rock or talk, but classical??
    George