radio history at Tufts and claims of being the first broadcast station

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Thu Nov 11 12:29:35 EST 2010

At 08:45 AM 11/11/2010, George Allen wrote:
>An interesting history of radio at Tufts is in the current alum
>mag.  They say: "Not only did Tufts' radio station make the first
>continuous radio transmission in history. It may well have been the
>first broadcast station in the country."
>http://www.tufts.edu/alumni/magazine/fall2010/planet-tufts/good-morning.html

Umm, absolutely true on the first broadcasting station claim--
although they are contesting it with 8MK (WWJ) and KDKA and the
Madison station later know as WHA.  We may never know for a fact
which station was really first, but we do know it was NOT KDKA,
contrary to their massive publicity dept.  As the champion of our
little pioneering radio station 1XE (later WGI), I know for a fact
that they were broadcasting music concerts in January 1916 (there are
newspaper reports of it) and on the air sporadically from 1917
onward.  I'll betcha that article in the alum mag didn't credit any
of my research, but that's okay... 1XE/WGI was an amazing little
station and we should all be proud of it.  It had the first woman
announcer in New England, the late great Eunice Randall, the first
African-American performers including the legendary stage actor
Charles Gilpin, the first rabbi on the air (the equally late and
great Harry Levi), and the first economist on the air (Roger Babson),
in addition to a large amount of other important firsts.