a suggestion for my new book

markwa1ion@aol.com markwa1ion@aol.com
Wed May 19 09:10:43 EDT 2010

<<
>From zymrgist@comcast.net  Tue May 18 19:05:08 2010
Subject: a suggestion for my new book

Arnie Woo Woo was as big as they get back in the day!
John Lee Grant

I was thinking Arnie too since, in my early '60s youth, I was more a
WMEX-addicted radio nut than a TV person.

 From that era WBZ's Dick Summer and Bruce Bradley would also rate high
in DJ-dom.  Other worthy candidates include Carl DeSuze, Dave Maynard,
Jefferson Kaye, Bill Marlowe, Jess Cain, Bob Clayton, and Alan Dary
(just for starters).  Late '60s and early/mid '70s would be about
Laquidara, Garabedian, Sartori, Parenteau, Parry, and the others who
led the album-rock charge on FM's WBCN & WCOZ and AM "wannabe's" WMEX,
WNTN, and WGTR.  Public radio's Della Chiesa and Lurtsema are also
notable.

For a TV AND radio person, how about Don Kent, meteorologist
extraordinaire of BZ TV 4 and AM 1030 ?  If you picked Don, that would
have great general appeal - old and young alike - without political
wrangling that might accompany the choice of Jerry Williams, Howie
Carr, David Brudnoy, Avi Nelson, Jay Severin, or any other talkmeister
(aside, maybe, from non-controversial types such as Larry Glick, Steve
Leveille, and Kenny Mayer).

This list's Bob Bittner and Donna L. Halper are noteworthy in Boston
radio history for their involvements with the "little station that
could", 740 in Cambridge.

One thing this discussion is doing is bringing up a lot of names that
should at least be included inside the book, pictorially and in words
if possible, if not on the cover.

I am excited about the book even if Arcadia will be tending to squeeze
it into their formula.  Donna's own resources, augmented by the inputs
of the rest of the Boston broadcasting historians on this list, quite
likely have a surplus of good material from pictures and documents to
humorous anecdotes.  500 to 1000 pages might not even be enough to
cover everyone and everything worth mentioning.  Scott's idea of a
coffee table book sounds great.  Maybe two: one for radio and one for
TV - or a division between 'old days' ('70s and before) and more modern
times.  Personally I'm a big fan of other Arcadia books, particularly
those by Richard Duffy about my old hometown of Arlington.

Mark Connelly
Billerica, MA + South Yarmouth, MA