Boston and ABC Radio

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Mon May 17 02:03:01 EDT 2010

On 16 May 2010 at 11:27, Dan.Strassberg wrote:

> It makes sense that when 680 became WNAC, the ABC affiliation would
> have moved from 680 to 1260 (WVDA), because both WLAW and WCOP had
> been ABC affiliates (something that was possible because WLAW was
> officially not a Boston station despite having the market's second
> best signal in Boston) and Plough Inc, WCOP's new owner, did not want
> WCOP to continue its network affiliation. Despite a 5-kW signal that
> was inferior downtown and elsewhere to 680's 50-kW, WCOP had been the
> "real" Boston ABC affiliate for several years before Plough bought it.

But the WNAC/WLAW/WVDA switch took place in 1952 or 1953, and the
Plough purchase of WCOP was a few years later.

> Somebody, please supply the hotel name so I can say, "Oh, yeah."
> (Wasn't it on Stuart St? It was neither the Parker House nor the
> Touraine, IIRC.) Thanks.

I believe it was the Hotel Bradford, on Tremont Street.  I think it's
now Tremont House.  I went there sometime around 1975 to tape an
early-Sunday interview show on WUNR about rent control, and I
remember being told that WBZ had once been in that hotel.