Car antennas & Radios

Mark Casey map@mapinternet.com
Tue May 11 14:10:33 EDT 2010

The further away from the metal body the antenna is located, the better it
works. And, with most folks listen mostly to local FM and maybe a couple of
the strongest AM stations, the short antennas on the roof seem to work
fairly well.

If you really want to get some improvement in AM reception, add an extension
to a cowl mounted antenna. On my 2006 F250, I've added about 3 ft, and the
AM has really improved with no discernable detriment to the FM side.  The
total antenna length is about 5-6'. Been doing this for years. I took the
24" rooftop antenna on my Ford Focus wagon and replaced it with a 40"
whip--again, a big improvement on AM, and some improvement on FM. (Recently
listenened to 1000 watt WICC, 600, Bridgeport from just outside of New York
City right up to Hartford before the buzzing started) Technically, with the
longer antenna, (unless it is increased to 90-95") the FM reception might be
out of phase at some points, but in reality, with the haphazard way the
88-108 MHz waves are being recieved by the original antenna, they are rarely
matched to the antenna anyway. And, the larger capture area greatly improves
reception of the long AM waves, and, in some cases,  the increased capture
area improves FM reception also.

As far as radios go, you might be able to look at the receive specs and get
an idea of a good aftermarket radio. But, I was dissapointed with a new
Blaupunkt's reception a few years ago, though the sound quality was good on
both AM & FM.

The old radios were a mixed bag. A few AC-Delco's were pretty good, but most
of the ones I had were lousy (61 Chevy, 64 Chevy, 66 Buick, 67 Pontiac, 68
C-10 pickup, etc.). The Ford radios, as a group, have generally been much
better. The recent Ford radios have been pretty decent. Car radios as a
group, on AM broadcast, however, have not really improved in a long time. My
1939 Ford Coupe in-dash tube radio was as good a receiver on AM as anything
made today, and sounded better than just about any other AM car radio I've
ever had.

Like Sid described, In the 80's I made a car radio into a workshop radio,
running off a car battery and charger. It was the only way to receive a
clean daytime signal from WHN 1050, New York City, then the top country
station  in the US, in Ludlow, Mass. I also used a very long metal car
antenna with a metal extension.

The problem with using a junkyard car radio now, is hooking it up, which
probably can be done, but not as easily as it used to be.

Mark Casey, K1MAP
near Springfield, MA