copyright question

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Sun Mar 28 01:39:43 EDT 2010

On 27 Mar 2010 at 11:52, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> Well, the successor to Plough -- which, you will recall, was a drug
> company -- is today's Merck & Co.  According to Wikipedia, Plough
> merged with Schering in 1971, and Schering-Plough merged with Merck
> last year.  (Note that Schering, like Bayer and Merck, had its U.S.
> operations confiscated during one of the World Wars, so the U.S.
> Schering Corp. was not owned by Schering AG at the time of the merger.
>  Schering AG later merged with Bayer AG.)  So the company clearly
> still exists.  The question then becomes one of what was included in
> the sale contract when Plough sold the station in question.

More than that.  Plough, I believe, sold to Tanger, who changed WCOP
(by then WACQ) into WHUE.  Then Tanger sold to Greater Media, who
turned it into WMEX, etc.  So it's possible that the current station
owners, or anyone else along the chain, own the rights to those old
survey sheets, depending on the nature of the sales contracts,
particularly whether the buyer acquired intellectual property or just
the license, physical property, and real estate.