WBZ AccuWeather

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Thu Jun 10 01:25:53 EDT 2010

<<On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 19:34:13 -0400, "Mark Watson" <markwats@comcast.net> said:

>    I've noticed over the last week or so, especially on weekdays, on the few
> occasions I've tuned in WBZ radio at the top or bottom of the hour to catch
> the news, I've heard the weather forecast tease from WBZ AccuWeather
> meteorologist Barry Burbank, Joe Joyce, or Melissa Mack, all of whom are on
> WBZ-TV, who of late has been touting the AccuWeather forecasts on the TV
> newscasts.

I noticed that last week, but never got around to posting about it.
Near as I can tell, it's only during the "Midday News"; during other
dayparts I've heard the same people (well, at least Barry "Hairicane"
Burbank[1]) do regular news segments without the AccuWeather moniker,
with the regular guys from State College doing the "Weather on the
10's" segments.

Not sure why TV felt the need to rebrand their weather -- I suppose
they figured it would lend some credibility when they're putting
people on at 6 and 11 who didn't bring any to the job.

-GAWollman

[1] Unfair, since some of the State College guys seem to have trouble
with one-syllable words like "eat" (as in the digit), never mind the
six-syllable name of their profession.  Ex-WLVI weekender Barbara
Conrad would tell us it was going to be "hazy, hut, and humid".  Maybe
strange pronunciation is a requirement for being a broadcast
meteorologist.