Red Sox TV and Radio ratings tanking

markwa1ion@aol.com markwa1ion@aol.com
Tue Jul 27 16:50:08 EDT 2010

I think the station would have to pick up some listeners on either side
of the target generation for the idea to "fly" on a higher-power (hence
more expensive to run) station.

When 1510 was WMRE (The Memory Station), 1430 was Music-of-Your-Life,
and 1400 Lowell also featured the pre-rock era, I gave those stations
some of my listening even though the WW-2 era of Benny Goodman, Glenn
Miller, the Dorseys, Bing Crosby, etc. was well before "my time".
Despite pre-dating me, the high standards of that era's musicianship
and often intellectually-clever lyrics still had value on their own
merits as art, rather than merely being a "nostalgia wallow" for those
in a specific age group.  Subjects such as war, love, work, travel, and
money (and lack thereof) are largely timeless and songs can speak
across generations including to young ones discovering the "ancient"
tunes of dad and grand-dad for the first time.

Bob Bittner can probably offer accounts of e-mails and letters from
listeners much younger than most of what he's playing.  Entertainers
such as Tony Bennett have found unexpected popularity on college
campuses.  Swing dancing has periodic resurgences despite a vanishingly
small amount of "original swingers" still being on the upper side of
the lawn.

The broadcast product has to be a good one, however, or even listeners
of the ideal age group will soon lose interest.  If it's not going to
sound like satellite-format-in-a-box, some "oh wow!" non-super-hits
have to be thrown in from time to time, knowledge of metro Boston (then
and now) should be more than what can be gleaned in 10 minutes of web
surfing, and DJ pacing and delivery should be on par with the best '60s
jocks - B. Marlowe, A. Ginsberg, B. Bradley, D. Summer, etc.

If done right - meaning with a sense of fun coupled with knowledge and
slick sophistication - rock oldies, big-band / standards, or even
something totally "niche" (like polka or klezmer or Irish) can reach
out to a wider demographic than some professional programmers may have
envisioned.  Will kids give up hip-hop for oldies or standards?
Certainly not "en masse" but not too long ago I was in a card shop that
primarily had girls under 30 working there ... and WJIB was the
background music.  Didn't expect that one at all and it was nice
hearing the original Al Hibbler "Unchained Melody" as I went about my
shopping.  Reminded me of being about 5 or 6 and hearing it for the
first time at a similar store in Belmont Center when the song was high
on the charts.  Nostalgia wallow, yes, but a song good enough to have
been redone by countless others and used in more than one movie too.

One thing that throws a wet rag over any music format making it are the
increases in music licensing fees, even for small stations and
webcasters, something that WJIB has been fighting.

For music, most of us are going to have to rely on a handful of
low-power stations when we can get them and our own MP3, CD, tape, and
record collections the rest of the time.

What an iPod won't necessarily replace for us is the personality and
local-feel radio we used to enjoy.  It has largely departed even the
most successful music format FM stations unfortunately and that facet
of radio (the entertainment beyond the tunes) doesn't seem to be coming
back too soon.

To Garrett's comment, I'm surprised that what is on 1510 now is making
enough to keep it on the air.  But I'd imagine that the "talent"
doesn't get paid much compared to inflation-adjusted WMEX of the '60s.

Mark Connelly
Billerica, MA + South Yarmouth, MA

<<
  On 7/27/2010 11:39 AM, revdoug1@myfairpoint.net wrote:

> I wonder if Entercom's failed experiment with WWKB in Buffalo, which
> liked --- an oldies format with a late '60s sound (jingles and all)
> --- would work in Boston on WRKO?  People here have a lot of
nostalgia
> for the "good old days" of WRKO, WMEX and WBZ as Top 40 rock
> stations.  What do you think?   -Doug

The only people who have a lot of nostalgia for those particular "good
old days" are those of us who are old enough to remember them and were
in the Boston area at the time.  And we're not the demographic most
stations and advertisers are going for.  Even if we were, would we be
enough to sustain a station?

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D.             617.367.0468
92 State Street, Suite 700       Fax: 617.507.7856