Montreal's 690 and 940 to power down tonight

revdoug1@myfairpoint.net revdoug1@myfairpoint.net
Sat Jan 30 16:40:23 EST 2010

This is a sign of a trend.  For reasons that I have yet to be able to
understand, AM radio in Canada seems to be on its way out.  During the
past three or four years, the CBC has shut down most of its major AM
outlets, and even way back in the early '90s, long-established stations
such as 50-kw CFNB (550) in Fredericton were eliminated in favor of
their FM counterparts.

940 usually doesn't come in particularly well in central Maine where I
live, but 690 often has a killer signal.

CINW (940) is the successor to CFCF, Canada's first radio station,
which Marconi Wireless put on the air in 1919.  The station's old TV
counterpart, Channel 12, is still known as CFCF and is under separate
ownership, I believe.   -Doug