Media impact on the special election

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Mon Jan 25 01:02:33 EST 2010

> >> I was talking with Scott on Tuesday night, and he pointed out to me
> >> that traditionally Republican parts of Western Mass. voted
> >> overwhelmingly for Coakley over Brown, whereas people within the
> >> Boston market went the other way.  I don't know if the final
> >> results show the same pattern, but if they do, it may say something
> >> interesting about the impact of the mass media on the election.

I'm not sure there is much left of the "traditionally Republican"
parts of Western Massachusetts these days.  I remember being in
Amherst on election night 1972, watching local returns as the last
Republican county office holders and the last Republican state
senators in Western Massachusetts bit the dust.