Herald, BRW: 1200 to conservative talk in April

lglavin@mail.com lglavin@mail.com
Thu Jan 14 14:38:53 EST 2010

CCU may have provided little if any promotion for WXKS-AM 1430/WKOS-AM 1200  during the libtalk days, but on TWO occasions, they
brought Al Franken's show into Boston to originate his live show from the Marlowe Hotel and the WAH-HILLL-BURRR Theater.  Both events
were very-well attended (I was at both).  For the Marlowe Hotel appearance, they served excellent hot coffee and luscious madadamia-nut
cookies.  Since then, I've never said a negative word about Clear Channel. When I'm bought, I stay bought.  Something similar
happened at WBUR during the Jane Christo era;  during an open house I attended, unlimited Sam Adams Lager was provided.
Subsequently, I never uttered anything negative about Jane either.  But large turnouts  for public appearances apparently
don't affect programming decisions.  AM 870  in Portland, ME flipped from libtalk to sports a few months after Al Franken
appeared before a full house at the Merrill Auditorium on a weekday (another appearance at which I was present).  And I
don't think the Boston Musical Intelligencer Forum's impressive turnout will change any minds at WGBH.