Herald, BRW: 1200 to conservative talk in April

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Fri Jan 15 04:13:04 EST 2010

>you wrote--
>If Clear Channel, Entercom, or Greater Media felt they would
>succeed, they'd be on the new WXKS,
>RKO, or WTKK. This is their call.

It's their call, but it's about ideology rather than whether a
progressive host could succeed-- there are progressive hosts who
already have succeeded on a couple of CC stations.  But the one guy
who championed progressive talk (even though he personally was a
moderate rightie), Gabe Hobbs, got laid off by CC last year.  Without
Gabe, I doubt you'll see many progressive talkers on CC stations with
good signals.  CC has made its name with right-wing talk, and I
expect they'll stay with it-- if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

>I said--
> >>Unlike rightie listeners who often tend to be "true believers"
> and want all their news and commentary from one source
>
>and you replied-
>Aren't some or many liberals the same way?

Actually no.  While liberals do in fact like to listen to media
sources they consider friendly, research shows that liberals are as
likely to rely on blogs or liberal websites as they are to rely on a
progressive radio show.  Liberals just don't listen exclusively to
talk radio, nor do they listen with as much passionate devotion--
they use a multi-media approach to get information, news, etc.