WGBH Greater Boston covers the meeting, "classical changes"

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Thu Jan 7 07:37:32 EST 2010

One of those stations would be WPLM-FM. For any proposal to be
acceptable to Ms Campbell, WPLM's coverage of Boston, Providence, and
Cape Cod would have to be maintained. Although WPLM is a full B (that
is, not a B1), it does not have full B facilities because its HAAT is
only 430' (equivalent to ~38 kW @ 492' AAT) and it is severely
short-spaced to at least one co-channel station (WPLR New Haven). As
you know, Ms Campbell has repeatedly rejected very large offers to buy
WPLM-FM. Unless her finnancial situation has radically deteriorated,
you can expect that she would reject out-of-hand any proposal that
would not at least maintain WPLM's existing coverage. Of course, if
the FCC were to waive its rules to permit a move of WCRB that would
protect WPLM's actual facilities (as opposed to protecting a station
sited at WPLM's location but having an HAAT 62' higher than WPLM's),
WCRB could improve its signal in Boston proper and parts of the South
Shore without even having to change in its CoL. In this scenario,
which would fully protect WPLM's existing contours, WCRB would move to
the WMKK site (where is it, Saugus?), where it could probably diplex
right from WMKK's antenna. However, everyone I've asked about the
possibility of such a rule change or waiver has told me to
fuhgeddaboudit.

So. what would become of WPLM under your proposal?

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367