Old South Church Meeting

A. Joseph Ross Joe@attorneyross.com
Wed Jan 6 15:22:20 EST 2010

On 6 Jan 2010 Donna Halper wrote:

> WBMS got back its original calls around 1952 and if I recall, that
> is when they went back to classical. At one point, they used the
> slogan "WBMS-- world's best music station."

When my family moved back to the Boston area in 1957, I began to
survey the (AM) radio dial to see what was there and heard WBMS.  Not
long after, I got to the same dial position and found WILD.  I was
confused.  I had never heard of time-sharing, but that was one
possibility that I thought about.  Eventually I figured out that the
station had changed call letters.

Some months later, one of my teachers in 7th grade, during a diatribe
about how awful rock & roll music was, mentioned his favorite
station, WBMS, which he said had beautiful music, and no commercials.
I don't know how they managed that (though Bob Bittner does
nowadays), or if it was even true.  I wondered where WBMS was now,
since the WBMS that I knew of had become WILD.  I asked him, and he
wasn't sure whether it was an AM or FM station.

In retrospect, I think that despite his diatribe, he hadn't actually
listened to WBMS, as wonderful as he thought it was, for a very long
time, and didn't even know that it was no more.

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                   617.367.0468
92 State Street, Suite 700            Fax: 617.507.7856