New program at WBUR?

Sean Smyth sean.smyth@yahoo.com
Thu Feb 18 13:45:28 EST 2010

On Thu, 2/18/10, Dan.Strassberg <dan.strassberg@att.net> wrote:
> I think it will be the afternoon
> broadcast of Terri Gross and Fresh
> Air that will disappear from WBUR. WBUR will still carry
> Terri at
> 9:00PM M-F and WGBH caries her at 2:00PM. If that's what
> happens, WBUR
> will lose some listeners to the first hour of TOTN. A lot
> of people
> who currently listen to Terri during the day won't switch
> to evenings
> because they can get her an hour later just down the dial.
> But they
> can't listen to Terri and hour 1 of TOTN at the same time.

Good point, Dan, on Fresh Air. I was thinking second hour of TOTN since few(er) stations seem to air it (at least in the northeast), and it would create a 3-til-7 news-style block.

> Personally, I don't think Radio Boston is a strong entry on
> WBUR's
> midday schedule. With this move, I think WBUR is shooting
> itself in
> the foot and is showing that it is running scared. OTOH,
> the less
> professionally done local shows on WGBH (Emily and Callie)
> may have
> lowered the bar.

Haven't listened to Emily/Callie yet. I like Radio Boston, but I wonder if that in-depth format can sustain itself five days a week, an hour a day. I'm guessing not, not with a six- or eight-person staff (the BU ad mentions the producer would supervise 6 people). I'd think you'd need more producers/reporters to do it well and do it on a daily basis.