Home Studios....WAS....RE: FCC Open Today: Area Applications

Gary's Ice Cream gary@garysicecream.com
Sun Feb 14 11:01:02 EST 2010

When I was working at WCAP (1999 - 2008) I was doing almost everything from
my home studio.  The overnight show (Music & Memories 1940's,50's, 60's,
70's) from Midnight - 6am every night......Morning news anchoring.......The
Saturday Night Sock Hop (came from the ice cream shop parking lot which is
on the same property).....etc.  I was tied into the station by an 8khz telco
line which both went through the master control console (for news and other
times that I had to interact with other talent) and also went around the
console direct to an automated switcher for times that it was going to be
just me originating programming.
When I was doing production, I would record it at home.....upload it to the
station computer...then remote into the station computer and import the file
into the stations automation system....the only time I had to go to the
downtown Lowell studios was on Fridays to get my paycheck.

The studio consisted of:
Mackie 1402 mixer with a Broadcast Tools Console Controller
Audio-Digital brand profanity delay
2 Telos digital hybrids for phone calls
3 computers for audio (two ran OtsDJ software, all 3 had Adobe Audition and
Cool Edit Pro)
3 RE-20 mikes on OC White booms
Sennheiser HD202 headphones (run through a Bheringer Headphone Distrib Amp)
Bose Speakers for studio monitor
Sony AM receiver for air monitor

The studio still exists today (minus the 8k telco line) but is used just for
voice-over and podcast work....I have also integrated my ham station into
it.

Gary Francis
W1GFF