WEIM call letter change

Don Donald_Astelle@yahoo.com
Sat Dec 11 14:43:41 EST 2010

Let me throw in my thoughts.

As we know there are2 elements to a ratings share....cumulative
listeners....and the Time SPent listening.

I don't claim to be an expert...but my archair analysis would be that WBUR
has a largers TSL....(or whatever they call it now...AWTL?).

WBUR is a station that flows from one program to the next, with a local
hosts bridging elements....leaving one with little reason to tune away.

WGBH is a little more disjointed.  Where WBUR runs Morning Edition from 5AM
to 9AM....GBH is running a shorter version of Morning Edition to make room
for the BBC Newhour, The Takeaway, and a repeat of The Takeaway.
(BTW....Morning Edition and ATC are BGH's highest rated programs, you would
think they would maximize it.)

Middays on WGBH looks promising with their local talk blocks, but they have
to get rid of the Diane Rehm show if the want to get more people in the
door.  She has a much too polarizing style without getting into medical
issues.  She is bright and articulate, but.....

Afternoons GBH runs the very borrrrrring "The World" a real tune out right
before All Things Considered.  Then they RERUN The World at 6PM....which
would be a time I would think people are looking for more local/national
news.....and less, say, about a coup in Georgia.  (The World is one of their
lowest rted hours, and yet they REPEAT it!)

And then there's GBH's Jazz in the Evening.  Nothing against Jazz, but
WBUR's repeats of On Point in the evening do very well....and again
contribute the overall flow of WBUR.

I think WGBH has to work out some more things on their schedule, to make it
less choppy and give them some consistancy and a longer TIme Spent
Listening.  Maximize their strong points....and do away with the weak links.

WBUR has a flow to it.  I know what to expect WHENEVER I tune into WBUR.  I
am given very little reason to tune away.

With WGBH, I am never quite sure what I am going to get when I tune in.

So, thats me spouting.  ;-)

I think the answer to your question is TSL (Time Spent Listening).