Globe editorial calls FM radio "outdated technology"

Mark Watson markwats@comcast.net
Tue Aug 31 17:19:57 EDT 2010

Don wrote:

> My first new car was in 1980 Checkvrolet....and it still only came with
> AM.

  My first car in 1981 was a 1973 Oldsmobile Cutlass, with factory AM/FM.
Was purchased used from a friend/co-worker of my father, AM/FM most likely
an option in 1973. Once that car was driven into the ground, my next car in
1983 was a 1980 Dodge Aspen station wagon, factory AM only radio. I added an
FM converter. After the Aspen was totalled in an accident in 1986, my next
vehicle (purchased quickly) to more comfortably accomodate the growing
amount of record crates & boxes, speakers, turntables, etc.for my DJ biz was
a 1982 Chevy van, AM only radio. Never did put an FM converter in that one.
My first vehicle purchased new replaced the Chevy: a 1989 Ford Econoline
van, factory AM/FM. Next came the 1997 Dodge Grand Caravan with
AM/FM/cassette, followed by the 2003 Grand Caravan with AM/FM/cassette/CD
and finally the 2010 Grand Caravan with AM/FM/CD.

Mark Watson