Globe editorial calls FM radio "outdated technology"

Kevin Driscoll driscollkevin@gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 01:32:32 EDT 2010

FM has been standard equipment on mobile phones for years.
Unfortunately, service providers' custom software often does not
provide an interface to the hardware. My sense is that the world-wide
market values FM more highly than in North America. My last two Nokia
handsets have an FM app that uses the headset cord as an antenna.

This article from the India Times says that 65% of the mobile phones
shipped in 2009 had FM radio:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/6326442.cms

In fact, it looks like the iPhone already has FM bundled in with a
Broadcom chip also integrates WiFi and Bluetooth:
http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=BCM4325

To be sure, the NAB/RIAA deal is shady and the regulation is
overreaching but it would be nice to see more North American service
providers enabling FM on the handsets they subsidize.

Kevin