Globe editorial calls FM radio "outdated technology"

Bob DeMattia bob.bosra@demattia.net
Mon Aug 23 13:40:30 EDT 2010

>> It's really simple:  Give me something fresh, relevant and compelling to
listen to, and you've got me.  Do nothing more than run on fumes,
maintaining the >> status quo, and you've lost me.  What part of this does
the NAB not understand?

I've been looking to replace my current vehicle (ten years old, 240,000+
miles).  I have an aftermarket
HD receiver in my current vehicle.  I'm trying to find where there is an
option for an HD receiver in my
new vehicle.  If it's there, I can't find it.  Very easy to get a Sirius/XM
receiver though, in fact it's included
as standard on almost everything.  I suppose I could add an aftermarket to
my new vehicle, but a lot
of new vehicles now have the radio integrated into the trip computer and
even into the navigation
system.

My Motorola phone,like most phones,  has a USB plug on it.  If I look at the
specs for it, I can plug my
phone into my computer.  With a $30 piece of software from Motorola, I can
drag and drop music and
audio files from my PC to my phone and vice versa.  Or can I?

Actually, no.  Though the phone and the software can do it, Verizon has
locked the phone so that I have
to email a picture I've taken to my PC using their service.  Likewise, I
have to purchase ringtones from
Verizon rather than simply transfer one from my PC to my phone.

OK, I found a hacker web site where someone has figured out how to remove
the lock.  I did it, and it
works.  As long as I don't go to Verizon and try to get my phone fixed now,
I'm OK.  If I replace my phone,
I have to hope that someone has figured out how to hack the new phone.

But I imagine most people do not possess the knowledge to be able to do
this.

My point is, a radio is not a standalone purchase any longer.  It's coupled
in with some larger product.
That larger product is what the individual has to choose from.

If the seller of that product has a vested interest in something that
competes with the FM radio, consumers
are going to find it difficult if not impossible to purchase what they want.

-Bob