Globe editorial calls FM radio "outdated technology"

Bob DeMattia bob.bosra@demattia.net
Mon Aug 23 06:24:43 EDT 2010

> There's also a (spurious)
> argument about receiving EAS alerts (there's no reason the carriers
> could not be required to use their own technology to deliver EAS
> messages just as cablecos are).

True. the cell carriers could do this - but the argument is less spurious
when
you consider the number of times the cell phone network has failed during
emergencies.  While storms can also take broadcast stations off the air,
I can't recall when all of the stations in a particular area were all off at
the same
time.

In additional to this, EAS is checked on a regular basis.  It would not
be practical to test a cell phone distribution system, as this would have
to involve setting off people's phones.

-Bob