WWZN has a suitor but

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Fri Aug 13 01:02:20 EDT 2010

<<On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 23:32:18 -0400, Kevin Vahey <kvahey@gmail.com> said:

> They are looking at buying 1510 and what I am told it involves moving
> the transmitter to land they have in Foxboro. Apparently some
> consulting firm has whipped up a pattern that might pass muster in
> Washington.

They would have a decent signal but not fantastic and not full-market
by any means.  Remember that WBZ performed poorly when it was in
Millis before 1939.  They would need to get the Canadians to denotify
at least one dead 1510 somehow, which nobody has had any luck with so
far.  Assuming the Canadian issue can be worked around, they would
still need to protect WLAC, but they would no longer have to worry
about KGA -- the app could be conditional on the FCC granting KGA's
license to cover -- already filed -- on the class-B downgrade.  It
would be a good South Shore signal, and would serve MetroWest at night
(but not during the day as they'd have to protect WMRC).

There are various other issues on the adjacents, the most pressing of
which I'd guess was WFED thanks to the salt-water path south of Rhode
Island.

The town would not likely be a problem as they love the tax revenue
they get from the Krafts.  It could easily be first local service to
Foxboro, as well.

-GAWollman