W242AA

Aaron Read friedbagels@gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 11:45:48 EDT 2010

Eli Polonsky wrote:
> The HD signal was so weak that even a few blocks
> from the tower, I was only getting the HD icon
> blinking, meaning it was detecting a HD signal,
> but it was too weak to fully lock on to the HD.
> It kept trying to load the HD signal, but failed.
> (snip)
> I tried it again a few weeks ago, and W242AA seems
> to be no longer in HD, there was no more blinking
> HD icon, so I don't know what's up with it.

@Jeff: if W242AA is relaying the HD2 audio of WGBH, then by definition
no HD carriers can be "passed through" because WGBH HD signal is being
decoded to audio and then fed into an audio input of W242AA's
transmitter.  (possibly with an audio processor inbetween)

@Eli: I would suspect that you were getting digital carriers from either
adjacent-channel WSRS out of Worcester or co-channel WEII out of Dennis.
  Both have pretty monster signals that would ordinarily come in fairly
well in Kendall Square if it weren't for W242AA.  It's entirely possible
for a digital signal to start to overlay an analog-only one; I've seen
it happen...the radio starts on the analog station and then suddenly
blends to the digital one.

Or maybe WGBH really did drop a dime on a new HD Exporter for W242AA.
But if they did, they never notified the FCC about it and, AFAIK, FM
translators still require digital notification.