Boxford pirate's coax cable cut

Aaron Read friedbagels@gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 14:29:13 EDT 2009

A. Joseph Ross wrote:
> On 29 Sep 2009 at 14:26, Aaron Read wrote:
>
>> I remember this was a significant issue for ABfree as well; the rent
>> was cheap by Boston standards but still a few hundred bucks per month.
>> ABfree never had the manpower/organization to really go out and sell
>> ads, and the listener base was too small to run fundraisers.
>
> Was the listener base large enough for ads?  As I recall when I drove
> by, the range of the station was about one city block.

When using the legal Part 15 transmitter it was a little better than
that.  The 1630 transmitter was a piece of garbage and, you're right,
barely went a block.  But the 1670 transmitter on the roof of 117
Braintree St (next to the Stop & Shop) was better.  You could hear it
for perhaps 3/4 of a mile (on a good day) on a car radio.  Indoor
reception was a quarter mile at most, though.  Although one night I
heard it all the way out at Brandeis University but that was a fluke
(and the audio quality was terrible at that range).

When the not-so-legal 20w transmitter was used, the range did get out a
lot further; a solid two or three miles from Union Square in Allston.
There was probably enough people in range then to sell advertising if
the programming was worth it, but it wasn't.  The programming wasn't any
different than what you heard on a dozen other college stations.  Also,
  we never had a real person to handle trying to sell ads so that never
got off the ground.