Boxford pirate's coax cable cut

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Wed Sep 30 02:14:28 EDT 2009

On 29 Sep 2009 at 12:07, Aaron Read wrote:

> These days college radio seems to be more in vogue so it'd be harder
> to pull off a "bloodless coup" like that.  But it's still do-able.
> And especially in more rural areas where there are literally stations
> going dark because nobody can figure out what to do with them, I think
> if these pirates got their act together they could probably take one
> over with little up-front capital.

Colleges tend to require that student organizations be run by
students.  In particular, they tend to require that the officers of a
student organization be graduate or undergraduate students. Since the
station is usually licensed to the Board of Trustees, the college
administration will take control if they find that people who don't
have a connection to the college are running things.

I realize that WMBR and WHRB are licensed to separate foundations,
not the school, but the schools have other ways of preventing
outsiders from getting control.  In the case of WMBR, the studios are
on MIT property.  I don't know whether this is true of WHRB.