Boxford pirate's coax cable cut

TVNETDUDE@aol.com TVNETDUDE@aol.com
Wed Sep 30 13:13:19 EDT 2009

In a message dated 9/30/2009 12:01:37 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
boston-radio-interest-request@tsornin.BostonRadio.org writes:

> [...]
Goldfield's programming, and the engineering folks at the  Commission found a
frequency (different from the one Goldfield was originally  using) that,
transmitting 100 watts, would not interfere with licensed  stations.  They
issued an STA per Section 309(f) of the Communications  Act.  He is free to apply
for an LPFM at the next filing  window.

It should actually have been relatively easy for Goldfield to  get a
license, since the area he was transmitting from is drastically  underserved by
radio.  Unfortunately this action sets a precendent that  will be difficult
for the FCC to ignore.  Apparently all a pirate needs  to do is to claim that
his station is serving previously unserved areas and/or  programming.  Look
for the term "Goldfield waiver" to start popping up in  responses to FCC
actions against  pirates.<<<<<

That is precisely what will happen and with that being said every market
has a niche format to serve one group or another. Waiting for a pirate, with
a  few bucks in his pocket to challenge it in court.

What kind of ticks me off is he gets an STA UFN  (BSTA-20061206AFZ)  until
and LPFM window opens. Instead he applies under the NON-Comm window along
with five other applicants on 89.1 @ 150 watts and guess who got the  CP?
What can they do appeal? The station is already on the air.

It is still a CP but the station is still operating under KGFN  from  the
original STA. Neither the STA nor the call letters are in the FCC  database.

Where can I get some of this action? I wonder if they even read the other
applications?

Mike