self supporting TV towers

Sid Schweiger sid@wrko.com
Mon Sep 28 20:02:18 EDT 2009

"I used to work at the Polaroid site on Kendrick St. down in that area of Needham in the very late 70s.  Upon exiting the factory into the parking lot, all you could see was a huge tower directly across the way.  FM radio reception was wiped-out with the exception of two stations.  I believe one was WVBF, 105.7."

The other on that tower was 96.9/WJIB.  I worked for WVBF for a while in the 1980's and became very familiar with that site.  Channel 56 was in the same building as the two FM's; 25 and 38 were in the other building.

And to answer the previous poster, I believe the hotel was there first, but the multi-level parking garage went up well after the tower did.  During my tenure at WVBF there was a pretty bad ice storm one winter, and when the weather warmed up we were warned not to approach the tower for a few hours while it was shedding ice.  A few of those hundred-pound chunks of ice clomped a few cars in the hotel parking lot and the hotel sued the tower company.  ISTR the judge laughed it out of his courtroom, saying in effect "what sort of dope builds a parking lot directly under a tower?"

Sid Schweiger
IT Manager, Entercom New England
20 Guest St / 3d Floor
Brighton MA  02135-2040