WGBH may buy WCRB? (HD2 discussion)

Aaron Read friedbagels@gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 16:18:41 EDT 2009

Anecdotally I believe you are right, Larry.  I don't think anyone's done
a real study of it but generally speaking, NPR and its affiliate
stations have done MUCH more to promote and leverage HD Radio than
commercial outfits have done.   There's exceptions on both sides, but in
general I think that's true.

Also anecdotally, I have heard from WGBH staff that there are quite a
few fans of the all-classical service on the HD2 multicast channel.  Not
as much as a regular analog station, of course, but a lot more than you
might expect (a few thousand was the estimate I heard).  Certainly
whenever the HD2 goes away, the phone rings off the hook.  Or so I'm told.

BTW, the nice thing about HD Radio is that you really don't have to
process it much.  I know some stations that are using the Neural Audio
pre-correction "processor", and nothing else, on their HD Radio streams
and it sounds really, really good.  That extra high-end really shines
with the inherently low noise floor of HD Radio.

At WEOS we run the audio into our Omnia 6EX and then the audio for HD
gets passed through a Neural Audio pre-correction processor.  Frankly I
think it's overkill.  It sounds okay on talk but for anything with music
suddenly the music is just really really LOUD.  I mean, in some ways it
sounds great but it's a little jarring in the transition.

Aaron Read                  |  Finger Lakes Public Radio
friedbagels@gmail.com       |  General Manager (WEOS & WHWS-LP)
Geneva, NY 14456            |  www.weos.org / www.whws.fm