self supporting TV towers

Eli Polonsky elipolo@earthlink.net
Mon Sep 28 17:24:43 EDT 2009

> From: "David Moisan" <dmoisan@davidmoisan.org>
> RE: self supporting TV towers
> Monday, September 28, 2009 9:00 AM
>
> I've always wondered when the Needham Sheraton was built.
> One of the guy supports of the candelabra is in the parking lot.
> I'd always thought the tower came first.

Not sure when the hotel was built, but I became aware of its
existence in the mid-'70s when it was the "Needham Motor
Inn". Then, it was the "Park Tower Motor Inn" for a short
time in the late '70s or early '80s, then I think it went from
that name to the Sheraton Needham. I recall seeing the
candelabra tower being built in the late '60s, but I don't
know whether the hotel was there yet at that time.

Unlike the Sheraton Hotels in Newton and Framingham, the
Needham Sheraton was never a "Sheraton-Tara", only just a
Sheraton. I don't know what qualified those other Sheratons
to gain the "Tara" suffix that the Needham one lacked.

EP