self supporting TV towers

Cohasset / Hippisley cohasset@frontiernet.net
Mon Sep 28 11:00:42 EDT 2009

On Sep 28, 2009, at 9:30 AM, Dan.Strassberg wrote:

> Ever see the video of the WBZ (AM) towers in Hull during a nor'easter
> before they were reguyed a decade or more ago? In those days, the 'BZ
> towers were guyed at only two levels, which was customary at one time
> for guyed towers of that height. They were intended to flex in high
> winds and boy, did they ever! Since the towers are ~500' high, the
> video (someone must have the URL--I don't) gives you a chance to
> estimate the excursion of the tower tops. If somebody told me it was
> greater than 10', I wouldn't argue.

Some time during the winter of 66-67 (when I was working at Channel 4)
I visited the Hull site with the radio CE (whose name I've since
forgotten).  We were there to see why the radio control room had lost
remote tower current and phasing info back on Soldiers' Field Road.
There was a wonderful nor'easter in process, but I went out and stood
under one of the towers, thus having a chance to see exactly what you
describe above.  It was like watching a snake slither along the
ground.  I never knew guyed towers could flex so much!  I wouldn't
disagree at all with your estimate of the side-to-side excursions at
the top....

Bud Hippisley