self supporting TV towers

David Moisan dmoisan@davidmoisan.org
Mon Sep 28 09:00:16 EDT 2009

-----Original Message-----

Although both 4 and 5 moved their transmitters to Needham / Newton in 1957,
it took until 1964 for WNAC 7.  I can remember watching the welders from a
small hill just on the other side of 128 with a telescope.

The lack / cost of available land was probably a major factor in the choice
of a
self-supporting tower.  That area was well built out by the early 1960s.

I've always wondered when the Needham Sheraton was built.  One of the guy supports of the candelabra is in the parking lot.  I'd always thought the tower came first.
Once in a great while I go there for IT seminars and it's always been one of my favorite spots to just look at the tower.