WYAJ 97.7

Bob DeMattia bob.bosra@demattia.net
Wed Sep 23 16:04:26 EDT 2009

WYAJ: This class "D" is evidently still transmitting.  I'm not sure
how long this has been going on,
but both yesterday and today it is repeating the same 12 second audio loop:

"The eagle is America's national emblem
 The Star Spangled Banner is America's national anthem
 and the rose our national flower
 But we, as a nation, do not have a national tree"

(with a choir humming in the background).

I wasn't around at the top of the hour to see if they do a legal ID.
Range is only 1 or 2
miles around their transmitter.

My HD radio reacts pretty strangely to this situation - it continues
to display "WKAF FM"
while receiving the YAJ signal.  When the HD signal is good enough,
the radio switches
over to the WKAF audio (and the display goes to "WKAF HD1"), but when
the KAF signal
fades, I go back to hearing the continuous loop with "WKAF FM" showing
on the display.

Even if I change the tuner away from 97.7 and switch it back, it will
display WKAF and
given me the YAJ audio.

-Bob