55+ (was: Boxford pirate's coax cable cut)

markwa1ion@aol.com markwa1ion@aol.com
Wed Sep 23 16:01:01 EDT 2009

Gary, I used to be one of those Cape listeners of WCAP even before 2002
when I'd stay at my parents' place in West Yarmouth or at my
brother-in-law's at East Harwich.  I phoned in a couple of times with
requests for stuff like "Temptation" by the Everlys,  "Louisiana Mama"
by Gene Pitney, and a general range of other things never heard on
'Oldies 103.3' even then.  With the right skip WCAP came in as well in
the Yarmouth area at 100+ miles as it did at home in the Pinehurst
section of Billerica, about 12 miles south of the towers.  I've also
listened out in Rockport on Cape Ann but that's not far enough for a
good first skip and a bit too far for solid groundwave.  Worst problem
there is actually an Algerian station (!) sometimes in with a
barn-burner signal on 981 to make a big fat 1 kHz beat note.

Your show had more of the rarer stuff than what WCAP does on the
overnights now.  Some of us still remember songs that, during their
peak week, got up to something like #35 on WCOP in 1961 or WMEX in
1963.  That didn't make them worse than whatever was #1, indeed some
were better and should still get some exposure today.  Some of these
were crossovers into Top-40-land from jazz or country or R&B where they
were a much bigger deal.

Mark Connelly - Billerica, MA

<<