[Save_progressive_radio_boston] Re: WGBH buying WCRB-FM, turning it into a commercial-free classical station

Laurence Glavin lglavin@mail.com
Wed Sep 23 14:21:51 EDT 2009

That position certainly is not mine, so you must be writing about someone else.
I submit that the Boston-area audience (when WCRB was on 102.5) and the north-of-
Boston-area audience would have been better served if WCRB was more like KING-FM
in Seattle. When both were measured by diaries, each had pretty much the
same rating 12+ anyway, so WCRB probably would not have lost anything by employing
a more representative playlist. The fact that someone just heard WCRB airing a
performance of the GRIEG (not 'Gregg) Piano Concerto is a hint of the problem. I
searched the Archives at wcrb.com. and the September 23rd scheduling of this piece
was the FOURTH time in a month that's not over yet.  The chances are that the
station hasn't scheduled either of Brahms's  2 Piano Concertos all year, each
of which is a staple of the concert repertory, at least in Symphony Hall or at
Tanglewood, so some people around here must like it.  Fun fact:  Berg's "Wozzeck"
is NOT a "Grand Opera"...check out wikipedia.org to discern the difference.

--
An Excellent Credit Score is 750
See Yours in Just 2 Easy Steps!