ad dollars continue to vanish

Maureen Carney m_carney@yahoo.com
Sun Sep 13 14:29:19 EDT 2009

I can tell you this is true - the renewal rate for Celtics on CSN is down, and those who are renewing are either going at a lower rate and/or looking for added value (billboards, features, live mentions, extra no charge spots). Foxwoods is one who hasn't renewed and I wasn't expecting them this year based on some things that went on last season. There are several advertisers and agencies that are holding out until after the preseason hoping to get a better deal. I'm getting a lot more requests for prelogs and postlogs from anxious agencies as well, all afraid that their message isn't reaching clients. Many advertisers who would buy different shows (say Celtics and college football) are choosing one program only. Direct response is drying up for us, and the rates for infomercials are dipping faster than a roller coaster.