890 WAMG (ESPN) to launch new format Monday

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Fri Sep 11 20:08:44 EDT 2009

Mike Fitzpatrick wrote:
> What about other signals in the market?
>
> Not knowing the coverage areas, ownerships, etc. etc, so if I am way off
> please be gentle!
>
> But I am thinking like 1150? (or the other station diplexed into the 1150
> array, 1470 I believe?)

1150 is owned by Salem, and is doing pretty well with leased-time
Spanish religion. It's far from full-coverage - good in the city of
Boston, nonexistent after dark outside 128.

1470 is even worse.

> 1510?

Probably the best of the "other" signals, though still with significant
weaknesses to the west. Currently being leased to progressive talk.

> 1570?

Doesn't exist after dark...which is a problem in December.

> 1330?

Making good $$$ right now for Beasley, which is leasing it out. Also
nonexistent west of Boston, especially after dark.

> 1120?

Decent west of Boston, nonexistent inside 128.

The market has just completely outgrown any of these signals as far as
any kind of mass-audience format is concerned.

If I'm ESPN, I think I want to be on FM...which makes the 99.5 idea very
tempting...or some kind of alliance with Entercom that would put some
ESPN clearances on 850 or even 680...