New SS format at WXKS (AM) 1430

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Mon Sep 7 14:34:34 EDT 2009

I just posted this on the Boston board at radio-info.com

Rumba seems to be surviving at Clear Channel's WKOX (AM) 1200, but
formerly // WXKS (AM) 1430 appears to have undergone a format flip.
Not a language change--as far as I can tell, everything is still en
Espanol. Of course, I neither understand spoken Spanish, nor read
Spanish, and I certainly don't speak it, so I'd advise anyone
interested enough to listen and draw their own conclusions. It sounds
to me as if the name of the new format is either Musica Mia or just
Mia. And it sounds a lot mellower than the uptempo Rumba on 1200.
Remember when Hispanic broadcaster Mega Communications owned both 890
and 1150 five or more years ago? I guess 1200's Rumba is kind of
analogous to 1150's La Mega, whereas 1430's Mia is sort of like 890's
Romantica.

I don't believe that Rumba is satellite delivered, although I don't
know that for sure. I have no idea whether Mia comes down from the
bird or not. If somebody knows or can figure it out by listening, I'd
sure appreciate being clued in. I gather that 1430 is aiming for a
more female and slightly older audience than the more up-tempo 1200.
Are both aiming for Carribean Hispanics? Mexicans? South Americans?
Somebody must be able to figure it out. Or maybe somebody who is
reading this actually knows. And is Mia produced by CCU or is it
brokered time like so much of the Spanish programming on other Boston
AMs? My understanding is that Rumba is NOT brokered.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367