Lightning Fast Format Changes And Back Again

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Mon Oct 26 13:02:06 EDT 2009

<<On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 12:54:55 -0400, Todd Glickman <radio88@radio88.net> said:

> Why would you want a degreed, certified meteorologist as your weather
> reporter on TV or radio?  For 95% of the situations, it probably
> doesn't matter -- and doing a rip/read of the NWS generic zones
> forecasts would be fine.  But during severe weather, conflicting
> computer model runs, emergencies, etc., having a trained expert is
> important.

That doesn't, IMHO, mean that the person who reads the forecast on the
air must necessarily be the person who writes the script.  We somehow
have gotten fixated on the idea that the performer on screen (or in
front of the mike) has to actually know something about the weather.

-GAWollman