Newsweek Confuses Broadcasting and Cable TV

Larry Weil kc1ih@mac.com
Sat Oct 24 20:26:39 EDT 2009

At 4:38 PM -0400 10/24/09, lglavin@mail.com wrote:

>  Ooops...here's where Newsweek's whimsy goes off the rails:  not far
>from Proxima Centauri, they
>should be just getting Spongebob Squarepants and The Sopranos.
>These two are ON CABLE, not broadcast.
>Seinfeld yes, Spongebob no as far as electronic propagation is concerned.

Shows that were not on broadcast TV in the US may have been on
broadcast TV in other countries.  I know that The Sopranos was on OTA
in Canada.  As for other programs, how do you think they reach the
cable companies?  They are uplinked to a satellite, and I'm sure some
(most?) of the signal misses the bird and goes furter off into the
heavens.

--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH