quick turntable question

Dale H. Cook radiotest@plymouthcolony.net
Fri Oct 16 18:02:07 EDT 2009

At 12:56 PM 10/16/2009, Sid Schweiger wrote:

>Most likely a QRK.  The wooden tonearm was made by a company out of
>western Massachusetts whose name escapes me for the moment.

I've seen QRK and Gates TTs with Gray Research arms installed on
them, and have also seen both with Rek-O-Kut arms on them. The type
of arm gives no clue as to the make of broadcast turntable, as the
arm and the TT were generally ordered separately.

Gray Research & Development Co., Inc., was a subsidiary of The Gray
Manufacturing Company. I have a Hartford CT address for the parent
company and a Manchester (Hartford County) CT address for the Gray
Research division. Both are in western CT, not western MA.

Grado, Grace, and others also made wooden tonearms, but the only
wooden arm I've seen in radio stations was Gray (or Micro Trak - see
below). Gray also made metal arms popular with stations. The Gray's
I'm used to were straight laminated wood arms. For a picture see:

http://www.cognitivevent.com/av_lenco.html

Scroll down to see a good shot of the arm, with the "g" printed on
it. I think the LP-length (12") version was the Gray 303. IIRC it was
also rebranded and sold as a Micro Trak 303,with the Micro Trak logo
printed on it instead of the "g."

Dale H. Cook, Chief Engineer, Centennial Broadcasting,
Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA - WZZU / WZZI / WLNI / WVMP
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcity/starcity.html