"The BIG 89!" (was Re: 890/1400)

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Tue Oct 13 09:40:06 EDT 2009

On many nights, a better choice for skywave ESPN reception is WMVP
Chicago on 1000. Unlike WEPN, which is a Class B and is co-channel
with a 50 kW Canadian station, CHUM, which protects it from
interference only in the New York City area--not in southern New
England, WMVP is a Class A, directionalized to the east, and has one
of the best signals in this area of all of the big Chicago AMs.
Because WMVP is a Class A, it receives little co-channel skywave
interference, although it does have to contend with the IBOC hash from
first-adjacent WINS. WMVP is often the better signal here even though
it is nearly 700 miles further from us than WEPN is.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Nelson" <raccoonradio@mail.com>
To: "Peter Q. George" <radiojunkie3@yahoo.com>; "Boston Radio
Interest" <boston-radio-interest@rolinin.bostonradio.org>;
"Dan.Strassberg" <dan.strassberg@att.net>
Sent: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 8:59 AM
Subject: Re: "The BIG 89!" (was Re: 890/1400)

Ironically enough at one point didn't the 890 here call themselves "La
Mega" (later moved to, or from, 1150),
which is Spanish for "the Big"... ? :)

Even when our 890 was on, sometimes the Chicago one would cut in...the
same way that last week, when I attempted to
hear a baseball playoff game at work on WEPN 1050 (in a place where I
could get AM recep), I kept getting CHUM with some talk show or
something (ads that were run
featured a URL with ".ca" at the end), then the NYC ESPN outlet would
come back in...